Sunday, February 2, 2014

Buoy Oh Buoy!


A buoy may be more maritime than automotive, but occasionally the two worlds meet. That was the case yesterday, when I stumbled across a lovely Austin Mini Countryman. These 3-door wagons were variations of the standard Mini, and produced between 1961 and 1969. Apparently around 200,000 models were produced, and they are easily identifiable with the wood framework added to the longer rear end.
The owner of this tidy red version apparently felt that the wood trim gave a yacht-like feel to the design, as he had decorated with two inflated buoys hanging off the back. While I suspect that they are just decorative, maybe they are functional, and are used when backing the car into a garage or parking space, to prevent dents and dings. Kind of like external airbags!
I have always been a fan of the Mini, and this personalized version is one that really caught my attention. The wood trim of the Countryman model adds a very retro look to the already very retro Mini. Several other types of Minis exist, including van and truck bodystyles, and one my my favourites, the Jeep-like topless Mini Moke:


The Mini may be small, in all its formats, but I always have my eyes peeled for them in the streets. And oh buoy, was I happy to discover this one!


1 comment:

  1. Last night I was driving behind a Mini Clubman, which is the modern version of the original Countryman, and I couldn't help but wonder what this new one would look like with the wooden framework added the the rear...?

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?