Friday, August 2, 2013

I'm Not Alone.

 
And here I was thinking that I was the only weirdo on the planet who could like a car as square and dorky as my 1983 Corsa TR...
 
I was just now working in the yard and a guy drove by, stopped, and backed up. He got out of his car and introduced himself and said that he drives by every day and admires my little car parked in the yard! Antoine is a big fan of oddball 80's cars (he was driving a Merkur XR4Ti, which is WAY up the list of oddball cars!) and said that he loves mine, an ultra-rare 2-door plus trunk version of the common Corsa hatchback.
He has a garage nearby and said that he is looking for a new project. He didn't have much time, but I fired it up and showed him under the hood and inside. He seemed rather impressed with the condition of the car, and thought that it was closer to 1988 than 1983.
 
As much as I like my little baby, I really haven`t been able to make much time lately to tinker, and wonder if it isn't time to sell to someone who does have the time and energy to get her back into proper condition. The TR isn't worth much to anyone except someone like myself or Antoine who see it as a standout amongst other cheap, boring 80's econoboxes. Plus, it would free me up to find a new project a little later on. I've had a Peugeot, a Citroen and an Opel... I think I'd like to add a Renault 5 ('Le Car') to my list at some point.
"Corsa for sale?"
 
So I am really thinking about it. He told me where his garage is so I might drive by and surprise him and let him take a drive. With any luck he's as kid-like as me and will realise the potential there is to have a simple yet interesting car for very little cost.
 
Now all we have to do is find a third weirdo like us and start an "Ìsland of Misfit Car Fans" club!

 

2 comments:

  1. Good news, or bad news, not sure which... took the Corsa out for its first drive in over 3 months, and I don't think I want to sell it now! It's noisy and rough and smells funny... it doesn't go very fast and handles like an ox-cart in the corners... and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And two more! Caught a couple of young guys looking over my car parked in the street in Paris! They even took some pictures standing beside it. Glad to see that I'm not the only one with discriminating automotive tastes...

    Or maybe they're going to submit to a "Paris' ugliest car" contest... either way, attention is attention, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?