Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Bad Case Of SSS.

This week I was diagnosed with SSS. Don't worry, I'm not going to share any private medical information with you. But this syndrome can hit anyone. Well anyone with an old car. Who leaves it closed up in the sun for a long period of time. It strikes upon climbing in... you close your hands around the steering wheel... and you feel it: Sticky Steeringwheel Syndrome!
Only those that have suffered from this condition can understand. Your hands stick to the rim of the wheel, and you have to peel them off like pulling velcro open. You try to rub the plastic, or grab a different part, or just use the tips of your fingers to gingerly hold the wheel, but nothing works. Once SSS has struck, you are contaminated. It feels like a layer of peanut butter mixed with axle grease and some kitty litter thrown in for texture.

Thankfully a cure exists. A good scrub brush, a decent car-interior cleaning product and some elbow grease will get your steering wheel feeling clean and smooth again. Don't forget a good handwashing before getting back in your car or you will recontaminate your steering wheel!

I know that people don't like to talk about SSS... about the goey layer of skin cells and dirt and grime that gets activated by the sun when an old car is left to sit for months... but I thought that I would create my own Public Service Announcement and share my experience. You're not alone, and you don't have to be embarassed. Now you know that you can do something about it. I'm off right now to take care of my SSS. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. All scrubbed clean! Did it yesterday before heading out on a trip to Paris for the weekend. The wheel not only looks better, but feels smooth and soft, ready for many more kilometers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?